Plot: Carrie Blake is 15 and struggling with leukemia. She's had leukemia since she was 12 years old and so far she's doing good in her treatments. But her homelife is basically shitty as her mom is always busy trying to settle down and work and also finding a good man for her and Carrie, and her father pretty much acts distant towards Carrie a lot. Her parents are divorced and her brother is living with the dad and his new wife, Lynda , who always supports Carrie, and is pretty much acting like the mother she's never had. Because of that, Carrie has to battle her illness alone and pretty much trusts no one.
One day at the cancer support group, she meets a boy named Keith who has a very bad form of cancer, and is one of the most popular guys at Carrie's school. Carrie has a crush on Keith, but tries denying it. But they end up getting together to work on the upcoming festivals for the cancer group that Carrie has joined. Meanwhile, Her mother constantly ignores Carrie and tries to be a good mother while also having a social life, which Pisses off Carrie's dad because he thinks mothers shouldnt work and etc. Carrie ignores the both of them and tries to live her harsh life as peacefully as she can.
Well, Keith and Carrie start getting closer to each other and eventually Carrie meets his family, who are very warm and friendly and seems to approve of Carrie. They also show up at the picnic and Carrie and the gang have a good time until Keith collasps at the picnic. They rush him to the hospital where it turns out Keith's cancer is back, but this time its lodged in his liver. Keith is basically going to die and Carrie is devastated by the news. The only one who seems to understand this is once again Lynda, but Carrie is too pissed off at her dad to even notice or care. She even yells at Lynda for being the cause of her parents breakup, but Lynda calmly lets her know the full details of her life, even going as far to say that she's lucky her parents still give a shit about her and her brother, and that at least they bother to still see each other despite the fact that her parents basically want to tear each other apart.
Turns out Lynda's life is just as shitty as Carrie's, only much worse. Parents hate each other so much that Lynda's mom put a restraining order on the dad (I have a feeling Lynda's dad was an abuser.). It ruined Lynda's life so badly that the girl even put off dating for a while as well as marriage, until she met Carrie's father. This causes Carrie to pity the woman and stop being such a bitch to Lynda( yeah no kidding sherlock.)
So now things are cool with Carrie and Lynda, but things arent going great for Keith. Keith is taking a turn for the worse and Keith's family decided to let Keith handle his illness because they don't want to keep him hurting and etc. Keith decides to go into the hospice program where they help those who are dying and honor their wishes and etc. Keith also wants to go to the family hideout in the mountains and view the scenery one last time. And Keith wants Carrie to come, which isnt a problem because Carrie's mom doesn't give a shit about Carrie, and Carrie's dad is a controlling asshole.
Carrie's dad eventually turns around at some point, thanks to Lynda for letting him know that Carrie is no longer a little girl, and after showing some grief over His pals' death in Vietnam at the 4 of July picnic. Turns out that Pops went into the Army right after graduation from high school along with 4 of his buddies. But he was the only one to come out of the war alive. He even had to watch his best friend get his legs amputated and die from it. Yeah I guess this is the reason why the daddy never liked hospitals or Carrie's illness. But This does cause Carrie and the dad to eventually bond and be understanding and supportive of each other's decisions.
Of course, Mom's story was worse. Turns out Pops wanted her to settle down and have kids and be a housewife, and she chose motherhood over landing a job( In like what? Modeling?) to have kids, just so that she can please the daddy. Yeah Right. O, and the reason why she hates hospitals and Carrie's illness is because Her mom and her favorite Aunt died from cancer, and it somehow devastates her in a way. She thought she would be at risk, but instead it skips over to Carrie and i guess she's lucky. Did I add that the mommy want the life of the luxury and rich people and likes to dress up and travel? And she's into a guy named Larry who's a total bore to Carrie, and seems to say just anything to make Carrie's mom melt with pleasure.
Anyways, Carrie goes to Keith's place in the cabins and Starts getting close with all of Keith's family, including Keith's sister named Tina, who is new at Carrie's high school and likes Carrie. She even wants Carrie to look out for her when she Starts her freshman year at high school. Carrie promises and the girls get closer to each other. Carrie also starts taking music lessons from Keith and learns to play the guitar for the first time.
After Carrie comes home from her trip to the mountains, she finds a For Sale sign at her house and demands to know why their house is being sold. Mom explains that with the money she's making now and with Carrie being out of school now, she can afford to move elsewhere. Plus she's tired of living in a shitty ass town and blah blah blah. So Carrie becomes pissed and eventually hangs out at Keith's place more and decides to spend time with him until he dies. After getting to know Keith and seeing how fucked up her home life is being, Carrie goes to Keith's just in time to say goodbye to Keith before he dies in his own house. Carrie cries and soon leaves to go back to her home.
After the funeral and after Carrie throws a farewell party in Keith's honor, Carrie gets ready to pack and move to her father's place. Turns out Carrie relaized her mom is a horrible excuse of a mother and she never wanted to have kids, and never even said I love you to Carrie or her brother. Plus Carrie is finally getting close to her daddy and the dad is becoming less of a asshole, Lynda is supportive as usual, and her brother misses her like crazy. And she still wants to go to her old school named Martin. The mom becomes quite pissed and angry at this, but she eventually gets over it and moves on with her life. Carrie later leaves with Keith's guitar in hand, given to her by Tina after the funeral, and ready to move on with her new life now that everything is settled.
1. Man is Carrie's family so horrible. I mean really, you think you can at least take time to see your daughter even visit her while she's dealing with her illness, but no. Theyre too busy trying to tear each other apart to even care. The only ones i liked were Lynda and her brother. At least they seemed to care and understand about Carrie's illness.
2. This book reminds me of the One Last Wish Book called Mother Help Me Live, where Sarah experiences some of the same problems that Carrie seems to have. Only Sarah was adopted. Plus her adopted parents seemed cool. Especially the adoptive mom.
3. You gotta love Keith's family,especially the parents. They seem like the type of parents you would love to have. They dont try to hide the truth from you like most parents do, and they are very supportive and understanding. they even let you make decisions and etc. They remind me so much about the Qumby family in the Ramona Quimby series by Beverly Clearly.
4. Ok so Carrie's dad wasnt that bad, but he could of at least bothered to see Carrie and stop blaming everything on her Mom. I mean sure Carrie's mom was a douche but at least she's not the only one to blame. You are one not to judge Mr. Blake.
5. Ok Ms. Blake. I understand you want to live a luxurious life. But couldnt you at least spend time with your daughter and stop fucking every guy you see at your job. Also if you didnt want to get married and settle down, why the hell did you do it in the first place? you could of at least be honest here.
6. Seriously, what kind of a mother would leave their kid outside alone in the park without even making a phone call? And I don't buy the fact that there was no pay phones at the park. It sounds so ridiculous.
7. If Keith hadn't of died in this book, Him and Carrie would of acutally gone out with each other and even make out in the book. But of course this is Lurlene's world, and almost all of her characters die.
8. Lurlene pattern: Working class mom turning into bitches, Stay at home moms are as sweet as gold in this book.
9. Keith's dream was to play in the World Series in baseball and Go on Johnny Carson's show live to play his guitar. Carrie also wants to go on Johnny Carson live, but wants to go into comedy and be a comedian.
10. Keith was 16 when he died and a junior at high school.
11. Carrie really was smart in this book and one of my favorite characters. I was a lot like carrie myself.
12. Carrie reminds me so much of Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold, but without the obscession of Arnold aqnd crazyness.
This is actually one of my favorite books and despite the fact that Carrie's parents were Awful and ridiculous, i gotta admit, it was very well written and somewhat realistic.
oh well. on to the next book.